- Banking & Finance
- Bankruptcy & Insolvency
- Capital Markets
- Competition / Antitrust
- Compliance & Investigation / White-Collar Crime
- Dispute Resolution
- E-commerce & Retail
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Financial Services & FinTech
- Information Technology & Business Process Outsourcing
- Infrastructure & Project Finance
- Intellectual Property
- International Trade / WTO
- Media & Entertainment
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, General Corporate
- Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
- Private Client Practice
- Private Equity
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Practice & Securities Laws
- Technology, Media & Telecoms
Media & Entertainment
AZB & Partners’ is regarded as an authority in this space and routinely credited for its ability to seamlessly handle complex matters. Our expertise is widely lauded for our involvement with almost every high profile M&E and sports law matter in India, as well as our vast experience spanning across the broad spectrum of related issues. Through steady work in the space, the Firm has also built a sophisticated practice in the sports segment in India.
Beyond India, the Firm represents its media clients in high profile litigation in international courts such as in New York. Such matters are related to telecast rights, intellectual property disputes and antitrust and pricing issues with regulators. In fact, the Firm has played a key role in developing the Indian media law, through some such litigation.
We work closely with our other practices such as Tax, Intellectual Property and Competition to provide comprehensive counsel on all matters.
Our work includes:
- M&A and private equity investments in the broadcasting business including entertainment channels and news channels
- Acquisitions for global players focused on growing their India presence
- Global expansion for Indian players their global reach
- Supply agreements, distribution contracts and foreign investment holding issues
We have worked in various segments of the M&E space, such as cable television distribution, Direct-to-Home platforms, Headend in the Sky, general entertainment channels, news channels and home-shopping channels, general entertainment radio, film production etc. The Firm has represented global majors in their Indian foray in the print media and publishing space, as well as leading Indian film producers in offshore listings and led subsequent restructuring exercises for them. We have also worked with several Indian media houses for their initial public offerings.
In the sports space, we advise on a broad range of legal matters, such as:
- Transactions and investments in sports businesses in India
- Corporate and commercial legal needs including in connection with agreements for distribution and broadcasting, content supply and acquisition, licensing, endorsement, sponsorship and advertising, etc.
- Acquisition, syndication and distribution of media rights in relation to numerous sports properties, both on a bilateral basis as well as through bid / tender processes