- Banking & Finance
- Bankruptcy & Insolvency
- Capital Markets
- Competition / Antitrust
- Compliance & Investigation / White-Collar Crime
- Dispute Resolution
- E-commerce & Retail
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Financial Services & FinTech
- Information Technology & Business Process Outsourcing
- Infrastructure & Project Finance
- Intellectual Property
- International Trade / WTO
- Media & Entertainment
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, General Corporate
- Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
- Private Client Practice
- Private Equity
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Practice & Securities Laws
- Technology, Media & Telecoms
Technology, Media & Telecoms
AZB & Partners’ Technology, Media & Telecom (TMT) practice is highly regarded by both, clients and peers for its comprehensive coverage of the space. We are regularly consulted on the most innovative product launches in India. The practice’s depth of experience in the transactional TMT space is particularly noteworthy.
Our recent sectoral experience in the TMT space includes advising clients in healthcare, AI, digital advertising, digital publishing, food tech, gaming, education, med-tech, logistics, beverages, enterprise tech, transport and hotel aggregators, content and video streaming and others.
In the Telecom space, we have advised telecom operators, infrastructure providers and other players in the sector on a broad range of M&A and advisory matters. Our telecom sector practitioners understand the unique requirements of the sector and are familiar with a broad range of issues pertaining to the various facets of the telecom industry, both, wireline and wireless. These issues range from older issues, such as calculation of adjusted gross revenue and mobile number portability, to emerging issues, such as net neutrality, Internet of Things/Machine-to-Machine.
Other than the various M&A transactions (ranging from mergers, de-mergers to business transfers) in the telecom sectors, which require specialized telecom sector inputs, our focus also includes advising telecom operators and infrastructure providers on various commercial contracts (including master service agreements, settlement agreements, interconnect agreements and transmission agreements). We also consistently advise telecom operators and telecom infrastructure providers on various regulatory issues in the telecom sector (both policy based and adversarial).
We have been involved in coordinating and leading various types of telecom deals ranging from the purchase of telecom businesses to the segregation and sale of passive infrastructure business from the telecom business and its subsequent lease-back, in overseas jurisdictions, including multiple countries in Asia and Africa. Further, through our robust network of relationships with law firms in other jurisdictions, we are able to offer a multi-national and multi-disciplinary capability focused on the telecom sector.
Our work includes:
- Data protection and privacy for large companies with cross border operations, including companies engaged in the financial services sector; this includes routine client audits to plug gaps in data protection and advising on storage and transmission of personal information under the relevant extant laws
- Regulatory issues, including obtaining the approvals and permits that may be needed to undertake a new line of business or new product launches in India
- Structuring, tax, and regulatory advice on an ongoing basis for e-commerce companies
- Venture capital transactions in the TMT space; this includes advising investment funds as well as individual promoters
- Commercial legal advisory for TMT clients
- Litigation for TMT clients; we have particular expertise in litigating issues in the advertising, social media and e-commerce space
- IP matters, including licensing, trademark, patent prosecution and IP defense for clients in the TMT sector